Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Rough nights

Last night was hard.

For some reason Dancer Girl couldn't sleep.  She couldn't get comfortable.  She just couldn't sleep in the brace.

She has been doing so well lately but last night was frustrating & painful, and there were tears.

Lots of emotions were voiced...

         "I hate this thing"

                        "I wish I didn't have to wear it anymore"

                                                 "I wish my back was normal"

                                                                  "I wish I could have a real good night's sleep for once"


But, we were able to move on to the realization that going through this will make her a better person.

She will have a better understanding of what it is like to live with pain.

                   She can be truly empathetic and understanding as a result.

                                   She can be a better friend to others.
                             
She can learn that her friends and family love her no matter what, even when she is angry & frustrated & upset, and she can learn to give the same grace to others in return.

She can learn that others are praying for her, and she can do the same for them.

It is difficult in the midst of it all to truly grasp all these lessons but it was a good beginning for this sort of conversation.

My prayer is that the lessons learned will stick with her, but also that the rest of us will learn them and apply them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment